Welcome to THEO.
Bringing you design insights and inspiration.
Learn more About THEO
- Holiday House NYC with Theodore Alexander and James Rixner
- The Stars are Aligned! Theodore Alexander Features in Traditional Home Magazine
- Theodore Alexander announces appointment of Dr Doris Phua as C.E.O.
- Tori Mellott Tours Theodore Alexander at the New York Design Center
- An Afternoon of Design at the NYDC
- Duralee Fabrics Now Available at the New York Design Center
- Lighting & Decor Magazine Features Steve Leung for Theodore Alexander
- Floyd Pendant Light by Michael Berman in June House Beautiful Magazine
- Theodore Alexander at The New York Design Center – The Big Reveal!
- Jamie Drake wins NY Spaces Award for Theodore Alexander Collection
- Becoming a Visionary at High Point Market
- Theodore Alexander Unveils Renovated Showroom at NYDC
- Theodore Alexander to Launch New Collection by Designer Steve Leung at High Point Market
- Colour Crush! Theodore Alexander Features in March House Beautiful!
- Million Dollar Decorating Podcast Features Theodore Alexander
- Washington and the Spencers, a Tale Through the Centuries 5,120 views
- Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer, an Althorp Addition 4,470 views
- Theodore Alexander Unveils Renovated Showroom at NYDC 2,895 views
- About THEO 1,327 views
- Theodore Alexander and Historic Charm in Detroit 1,140 views
- What’s in a Name? The Canterbury (Furniture) Tales 1,131 views
- Theodore Alexander to Launch New Collection by Designer Steve Leung at High Point Market 1,123 views
- Spotlight on Anthony Cox, Creative Director 1,070 views
- An Olympic Event at Althorp 1,058 views
- A World of Quality in Miniature 1,050 views
Tag Archives: 5th Earl Spencer
Charles, 9th Earl Spencer recently published a sumptuously illustrated book, ‘Impressions of Althorp’ which recounts his favourite objects in the house.
We were delighted to find that Country Life, an English magazine, has published an interview based on this book which highlights the love Lord Spencer has for the Althorp Estate and it’s unique legacy. In his own words:
“Althorp is to me the essence of Englishness… Understated but impressive, traditional but relevant, a historic house but also a warm and much loved home. Its contents have been assembled with discernment, over 500 years. If I had to sum up Althorp – itself the embodiment of the Spencer family’s heritage – in one word, it would be English.” Read more
The British are renowned for their love of dogs and field sports, two passions that are combined in the poignant 19th century statue of Forager the foxhound that today stands in the Billiard Room at Althorp.
Study the image below of the Billiard Room at Althorp. Between the billiard table and the fireplace you will see the gleaming life-size form of a bronze hound. This is Forager, who lived and hunted in the dying days of the Victorian era. The oil painting hanging above the fireplace shows the man who commissioned the sculpture, John Poyntz, 5th Earl Spencer together with his wife Charlotte, Countess Spencer.
The statue is a commemorative piece, sentimental even. A keen fox hunter and master of the local Pytcheley Pack for many years, Earl Spencer’s devotion to hunting was such that the Althop records show that hunted five days a week during the 1876 – 1877 season. Forager was the 5th Earl Spencer’s favourite hound. Read more